Tuesday, June 03, 2014

In which I read Goodnight June, by Sarah Jio

It's been a while since I've been as emotionally caught up in a book as I was with Sarah Jio's Goodnight June.  Writing with a light touch, she has a gift of reaching deeply into issues that matter to her readers in this case the importance of children's literature, the value of books and bookstores in our technology-driven age, and the complicated bonds between sisters.  Here, she ties all of these themes together with relatable, human characters and a heartfelt tribute to Margaret Wise Brown's classic children's book, Goodnight Moon.

In 2005, June Andersen is a high-powered New York financier responsible for foreclosing on small businesses that have missed too many mortgage payments.  She's the type of person that owners of Mom-and-Pop stores love to hate, for good reason... and although she's very good at her job, her blood pressure is soaring, and she doesn't like what she's become.

When she receives word about the death of her Great-Aunt Ruby back in her hometown of Seattle and learns she's inherited Bluebird Books, the children's bookstore Ruby had founded in the 1940s, June takes her first vacation days in years and flies back home, intending to sell the assets and return to Manhattan as soon as she can.  But as she sorts through old books, papers, and memories at the store, then meets Gavin, owner of the Italian restaurant next door, she starts wondering where her future really lies.

From the beginning, it's clear that the novel will deal with June's personal transformation as she slowly reconnects with everything she had left behind and decides, ultimately, that Ruby's beloved store is worth saving.  Although I had a good feel for the outcome of that part of June's tale, I remained wrapped up in it, and there were many surprises in store, too.  The novel's historical aspect derives from a literary scavenger hunt in which June discovers a series of letters dating from the '40s between Ruby and her good friend, Margaret Wise Brown, in which they share confidences and bounce ideas off one another.  Both women have challenging relationships with their sisters (something June is also experiencing herself), and struggle with pursuing lives of their own choosing despite disapproval or disdain from others.

June's reminiscences about her former closeness with her estranged younger sister, Amy, took me on a nostalgic journey back to the toys and books of my childhood (did anyone else ever have an Easy-Bake Oven or play Old Maid?).  And anyone who thinks that writing for children is a lesser or less worthy accomplishment than composing Highbrow Literature should read this novel for enlightenment. It drew me in continuously with one revelation after another, some predictable and some the opposite.  By the end I was happily overwhelmed by her characters' unceasing efforts to do the right thing for themselves and for one another.

Sarah Jio's Goodnight June was published on May 27th by Plume in trade paperback ($16.00) and on Kindle ($7.99).  Thanks to the author's publicist for dropping a NetGalley widget into my inbox.

10 comments:

  1. I have really liked Jio's books so far. I decided to pass on this one; now I'm rethinking that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the third book of hers I've read, and I thought it was the best yet. It moved really quickly, and there was a lot of substance to it, too.

      Delete
  2. I got to Jio only last month and liked the first book I read. This goes on my list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This writer is new to me, but her novel sounds fascinating - another book on my summer reading pile! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing is that if you decide you like this author's style, she has five more novels to choose from, all with a historical and a contemporary plotline.

      Delete
  4. I pray that this book does NOT slip into cheap demonizing of the 1%. I hope it's not a warm and fuzzy story about a cold businesswoman embracing the rustic cozy side of herself. I'm curious about this book, but I just hope it doesn't live up to my worst fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you dislike uplifting stories, this won't be the one for you. That said, while I don't want to give away too much, it shows the 1% from several different angles and combats some stereotypes. It also makes clear that while jobs like June's exist for a reason, they're not for everyone, since the high-stress environment was becoming detrimental to her health.

      Delete
    2. The thing is, I don't think a story needs to demonize 1% to be uplifting. I'm not saying the book is not good, or it doesn't illuminate the situation from various angles, but I hope that June doesn't experience the same transformation as Ebenezer Scrooge. But as an author, yes, I hate to see small book stores go out of business, as I hate to see pandas disappear. In theory, any job can become detrimental to your health. Running a mom and pop shop is not this idyllic experience. I'm sure the book is good. It's just such a high-risk topic, because it's so easy to slip into gushy 99% glorifying touchy-feeliness. Also, hate to tell ya, but 99% of 99% do not read historical fiction. In my experience, it's the rich patrons who support those mom and pop shops.

      Delete
  5. Already on my To-Read list before I read your review, but I went back and checked to be sure. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete