Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A visual preview of the fall season, part two

I really ought to be packing... I'm flying out tomorrow morning and hope to blog from BEA as time permits. In the meantime, here's another group of ten historical novels that will be out in late August and after.


Bradshaw, best known for her well-researched historicals set in ancient Greece and Rome, turns to the English Civil War with a novel about a young woman starting afresh in London, 1647. Severn House, November.


The sequel to The Jewel of Medina, set in 7th-century Arabia. (Same cover art as Nicole Galland's Crossed, but in reverse.) This is one of the very few historical fiction titles being promoted at this year's BEA; I understand the author will be there and wonder how long her signing line will be. Guess I'll find out. Beaufort, October.

From the author of The Red Tent, the story of four women who lived through the Holocaust and meet as refugees in a British internment camp in Palestine. Scribner, Sept.

A literary romantic epic set during the early days of the American Civil War in Kansas Territory. Mackey's latest has the same title as Sally Gunning's excellent novel of colonial Cape Cod, which surprises me; titles can't be copyrighted, but readers may confuse the two. Berkley, Sept.

The story of Shira of Ashkenaz, wife of Rabbi Meir ben Baruch of Rothenberg, who preserved her family's traditions during the rise of anti-Semitism in 13th-century Europe. The protagonists are the authors' ancestors; visit Cameron's website for more details. Pocket, Sept.


Historical suspense set in 1888 Whitechapel, about a female pickpocket, Grace Hammer, whose past is about to catch up with her and her family. The cover has an urban fantasy look to it. Norton, Sept.


Haeger writes lush historical fiction with a touch of romance. This is the story of Catherine Howard's brief, heartbreaking time as Henry VIII's fifth wife, a period brought to a close after her enemies discover her scandalous past. NAL, November.


A headless woman cover for the new novel by Hicks (Widow of the South), a biographical novel of controversial Confederate general John Bell Hood that focuses on his postwar life in New Orleans.


Per PW, this debut novel, set in New York City in 1901, revolves around a young workman on the first subway lines beneath the city and a beautiful mathematical prodigy, as the two are drawn into a tangle of overlapping intrigues -- which may include time travel. Putnam/Amy Einhorn, Dec.


The tagline on the cover reads "the most enchanting historical epic since The Mists of Avalon." In this sweeping epic adventure set in Iceland of 1000 AD, as Christianity threatens the old ways, Freya embarks on a journey to save her people. The website is IcelandTheBook.com. Plume, August; previously published in the UK.

12 comments:

  1. Widow's War looks interesting. The Queen's Mistake looks like it takes a sympathetic view of Ms. Howard. It might not be bad. A Separate Country's cover is very misleading. I thought it would be a female narrative. Its not so I'll pass.

    Ice Land has made a BOLD statement. I dunno if anything can live up to Mists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:57 PM

    I'm with Ms. I Widow's War sounds interesting - as do most of these. Off to put in some purchase requests at the library :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the catalog description of A Separate Country, which does look like it's a male narrative even though women play major roles. I will probably read it given that I enjoyed Widow of the South so much.

    You're right, Ms I, it was an eyebrow-raising comment for me too. It's gotten great reviews overseas, in major papers, but the Mists comparison makes me think they're aiming for a historical fiction/fantasy audience rather than a literary one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are quite evil to post these! I've already added a couple of them to my wishlist, and I'm sure I'll add more of them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I checked Amazon and Widow's War isn't there yet. Someone is going to have to remind me when it comes out to snag a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try this link :)

    And yeah, I'm an enabler, all right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These all look great, too. I am a huge fan of Gillian Bradshaw's novels, I have read and enjoyed all of them, so I had London in Chains on my list already.

    I have Jewel of Medina here but have not gotten to it yet. The reviews I have read were all over the place, not all positive. I'm hoping to get a copy of the sequel, it will be interesting to see how long the line is.

    Iceland really catches my interest, too.

    Just finished packing (ugh), good luck with yours! See you at BEA...

    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Curious to see the Bradshaw in particular! I just need to sell my soul to Amazon and be done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very interested in the Gillian Bradshaw novel as well. Interestingly, Lindsey Davis, another author best known for her historical mysteries set in ancient Rome, also has a forthcoming novel set in the English Civil War period, called "Rebels and Traitors"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I really loved "The Widow of the South", I will surely go for the Hicks book. Thanks for some other ideas as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to Rebels & Traitors too. I see on Davis's website that St. Martin's Press has bought it - good news!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gillian Bradshaw's book looks really good.
    Thanks for the list.

    ReplyDelete